[GreenYes] Compostable Organics Out of Landfills by 2012 (COOL 2012)

Compostable Organics Out of Landfills by 2012  (COOL 2012)  www.cool2012.2012.com

As communities work to decrease greenhouse gas emissions, the first place to look is in the garbage can. Every day, communities across the U.S. send tens of thousands of trucks to bury biodegradable materials such as paper products, food scraps and yard trimmings. These materials amount to half of our discarded resources. When buried in a landfill, those lettuce heads, grass clippings and paper boxes donâ??t just break down as they would in nature or in a compost pile. They decompose anaerobically, without oxygen, and in the process become the number one source of human-caused methane and a major player in climate change.

Thereâ??s no time to lose in cutting methane.  Weâ??re facing a rapidly closing window of opportunity before greenhouse gas emissions reach a tipping point and the effects of global climate change severely alter life on earth. Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from vehicles and utilities have been identified as major culprits. However, the emerging story in the fight against global warming is the tremendous and previously underestimated impact that methane has as well. Methane is now understood to be 72 times more potent than CO2 over a 20-year period. This means our landfills emit the greenhouse gas equivalent of 20 percent of U.S. coal fired power plants every year!

Meanwhile, back on the farmâ?¦Intensive farming and shortsighted land use management have been spewing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere for more than 100 years. This contributes to one-third of the increase in atmospheric CO2, while stripping our soils of carbon and other essential nutrients.

Rather than applying organic material to replenish the soil, modern industrial agriculture relies upon huge quantities of polluting petroleum-based, energy-intensive, greenhouse gas-generating fertilizers to produce crops on declining lands. Soils hold twice the carbon stocks of plants. Releasing this carbon through tilling means the soil now contributes to, rather than protects against, global warming. It also compromises the ability of soil to grow our food.

Weâ??re wasting the very carbon and nutrients our soils so desperately need to sustain our society.

Be a COOL2012 Sponsor!

SUPERCOOL â?? $5,000
â?¢ Your logo in large font on COOL 2012 website with a 25 word description of company and/or organization â?? plus a website link for one year.
â?¢ Your logo on letterhead used for press releases for one year.
â?¢ Your logo on COOL 2012 exhibit booth signage and handouts at BioCycle, state and national conferences for one year.
â?¢ Your logo will appear on all COOL workshop materials and in-room signage (minimum of three workshops or for one year, whichever is longer).
â?¢ Your logo on COOL 2012 advertisements in BioCycle, the leading magazine in the composting industry, for one year.
â?¢ Your participation heralded on the GreenYes Listserve, which is GRRNâ??s online community of over 800 active participants of key recycling professionals, activists and decision-makers.
â?¢ Credited as a founding sponsor.
Totally COOL â?? $1,000
â?¢ Your name on list of COOL 2012 sponsors to appear on website for one year.
â?¢ Your name on list of COOL 2012 sponsors handed out at workshops (minimum of three workshops or for one-year, whichever is longer).
â?¢ Announcement of your participation on the GreenYes Listserve, which is GRRNâ??s online community of over 800 active participants of key recycling professionals, activists and decision-makers.
COOL â?? $500 â?¢ Your name on list of COOL 2012 sponsors to appear on website for one year.
To Sponsor, contact Linda Christopher at GrassRoots Recycling Network â??
linda@no.address â?? or email us at getcool@no.address.