[GreenYes] Re: Waste volumes

Good point Jerry.  We own 3 public facilities, one MSW LF, one C&D LF and one Compost facility.  All three facilities are large in comparison to other, similar facilities in the state and serve a large metropolitan area of around 250,000 people.  Volume declines here apply to the MSW and C&D facilities.  The compost facility does not currently show declines from this same time last year.

I have examined 10 years of state solid waste data county by county (100 counties) and compared waste tonnages against both county population and gross retail sales.  The difference in the correlation between solid waste tonnages and population vs solid waste tonnages and gross retail sales is negligible.  It will be interesting to see if that trend continues through this economic slump.  Have other states done similar analyses and found the same trends?

Wayne

>>> "Jerry Powell" <jpowell@no.address> 10/29/2008 10:38 AM >>>
When discussing the effect of current economic problems on waste flows, we need to distinguish between waste types.  The publicly traded waste haulers are reporting more severe drop offs in waste volumes from their C&D customers than they report declines from commercial and residential sources.  Thus, when a landfill reports a decline, we need to know the types of waste handled at the facility.  That said, the history of waste flows during recessions shows a decline typically occurs.

Jerry Powell
Resource Recycling
E-Scrap News
Plastics Recycling Update