[GreenYes] Re: CAW shilling y?

Title: [GreenYes] Re: CAW shilling y?

Hi Brad:

Mary Lou from Urban Ore is working separately on a response.

I only have a little time this morning to reply, so thought I would
give it a shot, too.

Rick's table is a translation of composition study data from the LA
area at one point in time.  Its usefulness is in giving an overall
idea of  tonnages for nearly all of the municipal supply of discards
expressed as a set of twelve commodity types, and multiplying them
through by estimated market prices to derive the value of what is
being lost through wasteful processes currently in vogue.

In the fine print of the table there is a sort of "other" category
that I would quibble with.  Diapers are clearly putrescibles with an
entrained plastic film, and I would classify treated lumber as at
least potentially reusable and if not, as a scrap category to be
disposed of with chemicals in a regulated materials area.  I don't
know what "mistakes" are.

You're right that "reuse" is a process, but it's also an industry.
Urban Ore has helped build the reuse industry over the last twenty-
eight years.  I have no idea why the table estimates reusable goods
at only 2% of the supply.  My guess:  engineers doing composition
studies don't recognize reuse items because they don't run reuse
facilities.  Or maybe they just looked at packer trucks from
residential areas.  I usually place the "floor" number for reusables
at about 5%.

In any event, the reuse number is a flexible number, and will expand
upward as handling infrastructure expands.  Take cabinets as an
example.  If I'm running a C & D facility that takes C & D for a
price by the cubic yard, then the hauler will smash the cabinets to
minimize his tip fee.  The reuse value will be destroyed completely.
If I'm running a reuse facility that pays out cash or trade credit
for those same cabinets, the hauler will take care to deliver them to
me intact, even though they are bulkier, because (s)he both saves the
per-yard fee at the competing C & D place and (s)he gets cash from
me, the reuser.

That's why, over Urban Ore's 28 year history, our sales keep rising
incrementally each year.   The supply of reusables is elastic.  As we
become more capable of handling reuseable goods, the supply expands.

Reuse draws from all eleven of the recycling categories.  If I'm
running a plant debris compost facility, I will get some live plants
in pots.  I can dump them out and compost them, or I can sell them as
plants.  I can make more money if I sell them as plants.  I can sell
the pots as pots, too.  I might also get logs or tree stumps that
could be turned into lumber or slabs for furniture.  Same withe
metal, glass, just about any other the other categories.  There will
always be a reuse component, whether it is recognized or developed or
not, and whether or not it is ever turned into income.

I hope this helps.

Dan Knapp
Urban Ore, Inc. , a reuse and recycling company in Berkeley,
California, since 1980