[GreenYes] Re: National Asscoiation of Counties adopts Framework EPR policy

Title: [GreenYes] Re: National Asscoiation of Counties adopts Framework EPR policy

Bill

My concern about EPR has always been "be careful what you wish for".
The toxics in a product are a small snapshot of a product's
lifecycle.  If you replace toxic lead with non-toxic tin or silver,
you increase toxics released into the environment (tin and silver
mining release huge amounts of mercury, and not in a lined landfill
environment).  Moreover the net costs of extraction are different, tin
especially tends to be mined in very sensitive regions (rain forests
and coral reef areas), there are very few places to find it (the rare
metals tend to be found in volcanic areas, which tend to correlate
with rain forests).

A careful and wise EPR policy can fine tune and improve the net
environmental costs, but it's not to be done in a cavalier manner.
Baby seal pelts are organic and non-toxic, a written EPR policy which
doesn't screen out baby seal pelts will need to be rewritten, and
risks a backlash against environmental "stewards" who have not done
their environmental math.  I wonder if county government is the place
for that math.  I am concerned that local government is anxious to
adapt any revenue stream at the moment, and that a policy which
produces revenue may not be looked at closely at all.

Robin Ingenthron