[GreenYes] Recycle Offset Credits - Benefits of a market

Interesting thread.  Couple of additional thoughts.  Caps and carbon taxes do two other things that I've not seen mentioned:

-First, by creating an economic value on carbon emissions, they create classes of firms that benefit from those emissions being properly regulated.  This group of firms serves as a decentralized enforcement mechanism that can help improve compliance with a centrally-established cap.

-Second, the price signal doesn't merely move emissions reductions to where they are cheapest, but also establishes a strong financial incentive for innovation in the way we do things that emit carbon.  Over the longer-term, it is this incentive to innovate that offers hope that whatever cap is set now can be reduced over time, and/or the cost to comply with any specific cap will decline.

-Neil's point about serious concerns on the tightness of the carbon system is also true and very important.  Where trading involves countries that lack even basic government control systems, the risks of corruption and gaming are quite high.  Even in developed countries, the initial rules for allocating carbon permits matter immensely.  An assessment done by Friends of the Earth of existing proposals estimates that recently proposed climate legislation would have generated windfalls to selected industries in the hundreds of billions of dollars (permit auctions would solve this).  Finally, credit systems have a tough time hitting all sectors of the economy equally.  They can pick up large industries and power plants, but don't do well on smaller industries or mobile sources such as the transport sector.  Carbon taxes have a strong advantage here.  Carbon taxes also offer a great benefit in being able to reduce more distortionary taxes concurrently, such as those on labor.

-Also on Neil's point, controlling methane releases from US landfills is an allowable source of carbon offset on the Chicago Exchange (and also constitute eligible green power sources under many RPS rules).  In reality, of course, landfills are a potent GHG emitter, and should be forced to purchase permits for all emissions.  This would send the desired price signal to (a) properly control emissions at landfills without government subsidy; and (b) manage wastes in more carbon-efficient ways (better recycling perhaps?).  Instead, allowing credits for the portion of methane they capture rather than let escape reduces the cost of landfilling relative to recycling, and, according to Peter Anderson, misses a large portion of the lifecycle methane emissions from the landfill.
-Doug Koplow

_______________________________
Doug Koplow
Earth Track, Inc.
2067 Massachusetts Avenue - 4th Floor
Cambridge, MA  02140
www.earthtrack.net
Tel:  617/661-4700
Fax: 617/354-0463

           CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto, is for the designated recipient
only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private
information.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

>>> <daklute@no.address> 6/30/2008 4:56 PM >>>

Neil,

Thanks for this:

Sorry to reply in two emails -- I hit send prematurely. My point is
basically this: carbon credits do nothing to reduce emissions per se,
nor are they designed to. They turn GHG reductions into a form of
currency, which can then be moved around. The idea behind carbon
credits is that whatever emissions reductions are going to be made can
be made more CHEAPLY by bringing a market function into play. But it's
the cap, or other emissions control measures, that actually reduce
emissions.

as your initial post seemed pretty non-responsive.

Yes, credits need caps to be effective. I would agree that
cap-and-trade systems are an insufficient response to the climate
challenge.

But, your attempt to somehow seperate the credits from the cap makes
me wondering just what it is your critiquing.