[GreenYes] Re: omigod... are you kidding?

Hello Eric:

Did you not trademark the name ecocyle?"   If you didn't, they probably think your name is up for grabs.  Your brand is getting smeared.  The technical term is "diluted."  They may even be trying to ride on the coattails of your recent celebrity!

If you did trademark it, you may be able to prevent them from using it on this awful technology.  I hope you did trademark it, and that Ecocycle of Boulder mounts a vigorous defense of your intellectual property.  Even if you didn't it may be possible to defend the brand simply because you've been using it in commerce for decades..

Urban Ore has had to defend our name several times in our 28 year history.  We own our name, but we have a duty to defend it if it comes under attack.  This is clearly an attack on Ecocyle, whether these wasters know about you or not.

In the context, the phrase "still tackle only a minor proportion of global waste" is clearly a pejorative aimed at Zero Waste enthusiasts for not getting fully to Zero Waste after almost four decades of effort.  Perhaps the author is unaware that the US reuse, recycling, and composting industry was as big as the US auto industry nearly ten years ago.   He probably doesn't understand that our collective gross receipts make us much bigger than the waste industry, either.

I don't think the phrase holds any doors open.  Lionel Laurent's facile statement is not true, because we recyclers collectively have claimed the entire discard supply as our own, and we have mounted credible efforts to wrest it from the wasters  on all fronts.  Witness Urban Ore's twelve master categories, for example.  But waste interests always try to minimize "recycling initiatives" and make wasting seem both inevitable and natural.

I recommend that you consult with Urban Ore's attorney John Moore about your options.  I've cc'd him in case he's not on the GreenYes subscriber list.

Good luck, mate.

Dan Knapp, CEO
Urban Ore, Inc., a reuse and recycling business since 1980