[GreenYes] Re: Reusable Cups

Title: [GreenYes] Re: Reusable Cups

Hello Karen,

The simple answer would be to try to find some method of using a cup
that you bring with you, or which is biodegradable, etc.

But this is actually a systemic problem.

Studies have (apparently) shown that  disposable cups and reusable
cups are about even in terms of resource & energy use.  But that's
because we use so much water and energy in washing cups. And at
present, all the energy is wasted (down the drain) rather than
recovered through the use of heat exchangers on the waste water. And
all the water is mixed with faecally contaminated water, and disposed
of in a sewage treatment plant (if we're lucky).

If instead we had a heat exchanger & water reuse device on every
dishwasher, this would be a no-brainer. Studies would then show that
it is much better in terms of energy/resource use to buy cutlery that
could be washed, and then used and reused and reused and reused it
until it's worn out.

We  all would then switch back to visiting restaurants that serve food
on real plates, and on real cups. Rather than the 'one use and then to
the waste disposal stream' model that fast food restaurants currently
employ.

So rather than trying to find a work-around for a systemic problem, we
should be trying to attack the problem higher up the stream. It is
only because our use of water and energy in washing/drying cutlery is
so terrible, that we are even thinking about using disposable plates,
cups, knives, forks, etc.

Norm Ruttan
iWasteNot Systems
www.iwastenotsystems.com