[GreenYes] Re: ACTION: Act now to stop European Union waste policy from taking a step backwards!

Title: [GreenYes] Re: ACTION: Act now to stop European Union waste policy from taking a step backwards!

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for your inquiry. Here's the brief synopsis:

The Waste Framework Directive is a European Union law (which means it
effectively takes precedence over national law within the 27 member
countries of the EU). It is currently undergoing revision; we are nearly
at the final stage, and the EU Parliament, after having stood up for
recycling, etc. earlier, is now backing down. So we're trying to stiffen
their spines.

The danger of a weak WFD is not only that it will increase incineration
and reduce recycling in Europe; it also sets a bad example for the
entire planet. With the US doing so poorly on environmental issues
recently, many countries around the world are looking to the EU as the
leader in environmental legislation. So this will have knock-on effects
through Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America.

There are several bad provisions in the new legislation.

One, as you say, is that most municipal waste incinerators would be
reclassified as "recovery" rather than "disposal". It's not clear that
this would make them eligible for carbon credits, but it would undermine
recycling targets and facilitate long-distance transport of waste to big
burners.

There are many more issues:

- as proposed earlier, the WFD would enforce a legal cap on waste
generation in the EU; the current version eliminates this cap.

- it has weak, unenforceable recycling targets (governments have to show
"intention" to recycle) at levels that are lower, in some cases, than
current recycling levels.

- it creates a category of "byproducts" which would facilitate the
international transport of waste, including dumping in third world
countries.

More details can be found on our factsheet here:
http://www.no-burn.org/campaigns/wfd_en.htm

I hope this helps!

best,

Neil