[GreenYes] Re: Questionnaires for local governments.

Arthur -- The EPA's WARM spreadsheet model estimates greenhouse gas
emissions reductions attributable to recycling or composting materials
instead of landfilling them. The estimates are based on life cycle
analyses for a variety of materials. The EPA website includes
calculators that translate the greenhouse gas emissions into readily
understandable terms such as cars off the highway. See:

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/wycd/waste/calculators/Warm_home.html

To use the model you need to know the tonnages of various materials
currently being landfilled each year in your jurisdiction of interest.
If you have those figures, the model is very easy to use.

Wisconsin DNR has been using the WARM model to estimate potential
emissions reductions from a variety of recycling and composting policy
options.

Brad Wolbert, P.G.
Hydrogeologist
Waste & Materials Management Program
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
(*) phone: (608) 264-6286
(*) fax: (608) 267-2768
(*) e-mail: Brad.Wolbert@no.address