To: Zero Waste Forum, EQST Leaders, CalActivists, Loma Prieta Zero Waste
Please forward to your chapter's Conservation Committee
The Zero Waste Committee is soliciting comments on the updated "Landfill
Guidance Document". The Sierra Club Board of Directors approved the "Zero
Waste: Cradle to Cradle Policy for the 21st Century" on February 23, 2008.
They were concerned that the new policy does not specifically address recycling
and landfill specifics that were included in the old "Municipal Solid Waste
Policy", 1992. So they asked that the old guidance documents from 1992 be
attached to the new policy, until such time, as the Zero Waste Committee could
complete the update of the old guidance. The Zero Waste Committee will be
working on a series of new guidance documents that will update the information
in the old 1992 guidance documents. Some of the topics to be included in
new guidance documents are:
- Extended Producer Responsibility Legislation: What are EPR Laws,
Ordinances and Local Actions
- Recycling's Contributions to the Reduction of Greenhouse Gases
- Residential Reuse and Recycling Systems
- Commerical, Industrial and Institutional Reuse and Recycling Systems
- Compost Operations: Types of composting, Feedstocks and Facility
- Waste-to-Energy: Types of Systems and Potential Feedstocks
- Landfill Siting Issues
- Landfill-Gas-To-Energy (in pre-guidance stage)
- And finally and first most, the "Landfill Guidance"
We would like to get your comments on the
". It has just been posted to
Clubhouse (Wednesday, April 16, 2008 and will open for comments for 30 days so
until May 16, 2008). We ask that you go to Clubhouse and make your
comments on the comment section as then those comments are maintained in the
Club's archives. Here is the link. http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/
for the announcement under the "What's New" Column on the right hand side.
Follow the links to review the new and the old Landfill Guidance.
If you have any problems posting, then please send your comments to Peter
Anderson at Peter.Anderson@no.address
cc me (email below). My thanks in advance for your comments.
Chair, Zero Waste Committee
Environmental Quality Strategy Team