[GreenYes] Zero Waste plans

In a message dated 1/29/2008 12:17:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, hspie@no.address writes:From what you say, the environmental case for MBT rests on 100% stabilization ("no methane").

Hi Folks
I have been reading this since it started with LA post and  have to say that the MBT plant we saw in Germany, that was recommended as the best of its kind,  takes the material not source separated and soaks it in water for a few days (the tea bag effect) and then derives energy from the organics in the liquid, organic solid material is digested and then burned in a paper mill.  I asked the biologist who gave us the tour whether he thought the result was toxic and he thought yes.

I recommend better front end (required) reuse, recycling and composting programs. All compostable organics separated out by law up font. These programs could reduce non marketable material to less than 20%.  This might be treated wood, baby diapers and mistakes.

Rick