[GreenYes] Fwd: Whole Foods bans plastic bags

Apologies for Cross-Postings

From Today's Daily Grist.
TOP STORY

Sack Your Bags
Whole Foods to stop giving out plastic grocery bags by Earth Day

Whole Foods will stop handing out plastic grocery bags by Earth Day, April 22, this year. The mega-retailer of natural foods announced yesterday that it will instead encourage customers to bring their own reusable bags; the lazy and forgetful will have their goodies bundled into 100 percent recycled paper bags. "More and more cities and countries are beginning to place serious restrictions on single-use plastic shopping bags since they don't break down in our landfills, can harm nature by clogging waterways and endangering wildlife, and litter our roadsides," said Whole Foods' A.C. Gallo. "Together with our shoppers, our gift to the planet this Earth Day will be reducing our environmental impact." The grocer estimates that the plastic-bag ban at all its 270 stores in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. will eliminate the use of about 100 million plastic sacks between Earth Day and the end of 2008. All together, Americans throw away about 100 billion plastic bags each year (yes, that's billion with a B).

Gary Liss
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485
www.garyliss.com