[GreenYes] Recycling contamination hot melt glue in Waste Age

Dear Green Yes List members ~

In the December  issue of Waste Age, there were two instances where recycling-incompatible hot melt glue were used -- both on the cover for the renewal form and on the inside, where a 12 month calendar was inserted.

As described in previous notes to this list and in the article in the May issue of Resource Recycling, these glues are a serious contaminant for paper recyclers, costing the industry an estimated $2 billion a year.

The use of these glues by Waste Age is especially disheartening, as not only  sent them two letters of their use of non-recycling compatible glues in their magazine and asking them to switch to formulations that are recycling compatible. Unfortunately, they responded to neither letter, and continue to use the contaminating material.

I hope that you will contact the firm and express your desire that they "Design for recycling" in their products. I have also cancelled my subscription to their magazine.

The magazine's web page is http://wasteage.com/contacts/.

Thanks and best wishes for 2008!

John Reindl, Chair
Wisconsin Council on Recycling