[GreenYes] Re: Landiflll economics

Title: [GreenYes] Re: Landiflll economics

Hi Paul ~

Nobody said that it was without challenges and complexities to move ahead an internalize externalities -- just like nearly everything else. And I don't think that there is an assumption that the precise level of the Pigovian costs of particular impacts are known -- but reasonable estimates can be made and modified as better information is obtained. Right now, the result of much of what is do is to assume that there is no cost that needs to be paid. Thus, those of us who burn fossil fuel, for example, are charged no cost to discharge CO2 into the air from our cars, home, etc -- we are tacitly given the right to pollute and push these costs onto society  (which to me, sounds like a subsidy).

I know of many examples both in Europe and here in the US where Pigovian fees are already being imposed. In years past, I have posted information on several programs in Europe on GreenYes and links to the studies where the calculations were made of the estimated costs. And, in my own state of Wisconsin, the state imposes surcharges on landfills of just under $6 a ton, and in the air and water programs, dischargers of specific emissions are charged on a per unit basis for the discharge. So, we are already imposing Pigovian fees.

I go back to a statement that Robert Kennedy made many years ago -- "Some people see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not?". Let's recognize the challenges and complexities and grayness and move ahead to solve these.

Best wishes,

John