[GreenYes] Re: message to Gil Friend... and all ... RE: webinar - Coming To Grips With Carbon, 10/25

Gil:

As a reuse recycler in business for 27 years, I agree with Eric Lombardi and would like to add a poignant postscript from California.

Since 1994 California has allowed what is in fact a landfilling practice to get recycling credit as "diversion from landfilling."  I refer to the commodity known as Alternative Daily Cover, now widely used as a substitute for soil in building the landfill baklava.  In chemical composition, ADC is largely "organic" in the sense that the bulk of its mass is carbon-based substances such as wood, fiber, paper bits, plant debris, and the like.  ADC is also highly mineralized with crushed stone, soil, dust, plaster, drywall, paint fragments, pharmaceuticals, glass bits.  ADC's small particle size and embodied moisture mean it starts turning into methane as soon as it is buried the day after it is used to cover the garbage.  Most of ADC's methane escapes from its shallow grave.

So ADC is not diversion from landfilling at all, it is landfilling.  A landfill operator admitted as much at the October 10 Compost Summit meeting in Sacramento when, as the sole defender of ADC in a room full of clean compost operators, he said "If I cover the garbage with 6 inches of soil, it stays 6 inches even after it is buried.  But if I use 12 inches of ADC to cover the garbage, it reduces after burial to less than 6 inches, so ADC saves space."

The missing mass is largely the escaped methane, along with water vapor and CO2 plus lots of other VOCs.

Many observers are now agreeing that the California ADC scam amounts to a massive consumer fraud.  I do not use the term "massive" lightly.  In 2006 the amount of ADC landfilled was 8.4 million cubic yards, or 2.6 million tons.  (Source:  "Organics Summit:  Background Discussion Paper"  California Integrated Waste Management Board, Oct. 10, 2007)  I leave it to you guys to figure out how much CO2 and methane this volume translates into.  I do know that it's now a truism in our field to say that "landfills are the largest anthropogenic sources of greenhouse gases."

So you folks doing your emissions trading workshops should be warning your attendees about these kinds of fraudulent activities.  Unfortunately, the solid waste management field is full of this kind of mind and material pollution right now.  Maybe you need a real recycler as part of your team.  I nominate Eric.

Dan Knapp
Urban Ore, Inc.
A reuse and recycling company in Berkeley since 1980