[GreenYes] Re: [jtrnet] Packaging Policy Models.

Recognizing that Germany was a pioneer in the late 80s/early 90s for introducing the "Polluter Pays Principle" for waste, their packaging recycling program is a bust. When I was working for the Recycling Council of British Columbia in 1992, we sent a former Greenpeace activist over to Germany to look at the DSD program close up. She came back and shared her frank assessment at a conference. The program has got away with messy recycling that flooded the market with dirty commingled packaging.

The industries that use packaging in Canada recognized that this is a good way to appear "green" without incurring any cost (they simply raise the prices of their products). Hence Ontario adopted the German approach (except watered down: producers are only required to cover half the net cost of recycling, leaving the lion's share of the costs on the public).

We have taken a different approach here in British Columbia. Rather than lump all "packaging" together and end up collecting a jumble of rubbish, we regulate one type of packaging at a time. We started with beverage containers (37 years ago) and now we get upwards of 75% recycling of those containers ~ (the "bottle bill" was the first EPR program). Since then we've been focusing mostly on EPR for products (esp HHW), but we require paint companies to take the packaging too. Same goes for used oil.

We did our best to get packaging included in the e-waste program that starts up today in BC, and I think it's only a matter of time until that happens.

Another important category of packaging is those big plastic and paperbox containers used by the producers of detergents and household cleaning products. We are telling government we think they should bring those companies (Procter & GAmble, Unilever, etc.) to the table and require them to write a plan for how they will take back their packaging.

I predict this will be the regulatory model once EPR finally rolls out in North America. From the producer's perspective, the packaging is part of the product. The producer should be responsible for the packaging, even if the product is "used up." And it's easier to put the focus on the producer when you look at one product-type at a time.

BEst,

Helen.