[GreenYes] Re: Diversion of food waste at staffed solid waste centers?

Blair -

If I understand your question, you are asking if there are staffed
drop-offs for food scraps?

I am only aware of one, true drop-off center for food scraps,
operated by Eco-Cycle in Boulder at the Center for Hard to Recycle
Materials (CHARM). One can drive up and drop-off a banana peel or the
week's food scraps. Many (though not all) compost facilities which
take food scraps may be open to public drop-off of food scraps. I've
seen this happen at the Western Lake Superior Sanitary District
(Duluth, MN) food scraps composting facility where large generators
(like a fish-processor) will self-haul food scraps for drop off at
the compost facility. I imagine other compst facilities which accept
food scraps would also allow public drop-off.

Eco-Cycle and a few Whole Food stores also have food scraps recycling
containers at key locations (the Boulder Farmer's market in the case
of Eco-Cycle and outside of their stores in the public eating areas
in the case of some Whole Food stores) Inside the food court at the
Mexico City airport also has food scrap recycling containers. These
are more like traditional recycling containers than drop-offs, but
the result is the same. I'm sure there are other examples.

Is that what you meant?

Matthew Cotton
Integrated Waste Management Consulting, LLC
19375 Lake City Road
Nevada City, CA 95959
(530) 265-4560
Fax (530) 265-4547
mattcotton@no.address

Join us at the US Composting Council's 16th Annual Conference & Trade
Show, February 8 - 12th, 2008 at the Oakland Marriott City Center,
Oakland, California. Check it out at www.compostingcouncil.org