[GreenYes] Re: Conversion Factor for Mixed Containers...

Christine,

Although I hadn't replied on your original post. 200-250 lbs/cu. yd
is what we'd usually use.

You should also look at the source date. I suspect the average
number gets lower over time, as we get better about diverting one of
the heavier streams--paper--leaving higher % of plastic films,
styrofoam, and other lighter streams (although remaining food waste
is literally an 800 lb gorilla 8^) ). At least that's what I'm
seeing happening out here.

I'd also be interested in other's thoughts on the evolution of waste
stream weights.

On Apr 3, 2007, at 10:47 AM, <Christine.McCoy@no.address>
<Christine.McCoy@no.address> wrote:

> OK folks I found a conversion number for single stream recyclables:
>
> 1 cubic yard = 250 lbs
>
> The last thing I need is a number for mixed food and beverage
> containers (ie., commingled plastic, glass, aluminum and steel).
> Anyone? I know that it will vary, I just need an average.
>
> I check EPA and CIWMB figures and this seems to be the only one
> that I'm missing.
>
> Anything that you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Christine McCoy
> City of Alexandria
> 703/519-3486 ext. 132

David Jaber
Natural Logic
510-248-4941
djaber@no.address
Strategy assessment, sustainability feedback, metrics, and
implementation
http://www.natlogic.com/offerings/feedback.html