SACRAMENTO
Celebrity-filled inaugural -- he's doing it his way

<mailto:cmarinucci@no.address>Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer
Thursday, January 4, 2007

Is it only-in-California political theater -- or mere coincidence --
that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has included in his half dozen
inaugural events this week a special visit from singer Paul Anka, who
wrote that gutsy survivor anthem "My Way''?

The lyrics of that fist-in-the-air victor's ballad fit the Republican
governor to a tee as he celebrates his easy re-election only a year
after being widely dismissed as political toast. Karaoke fans know
them well: "There were times, I'm sure you knew, when I bit off more
than I could chew ... I faced it all, and I stood tall -- and did it my way!"

...Public events marking the inauguration start at 1 p.m. today in
Sacramento's Capitol Park, where first lady Maria Shriver will
welcome Californians to participate in an environmentally themed
public event called "Leading the Green Dream," underscoring
environmental and global warming issues.

Thanks in part to Shriver, who pushed hard for environmental action,
the gathering will kick off a whole series of "zero waste" inaugural
events -- meaning that every plate and fork will be recyclable and
every can, bottle and speck of food from thousands who attend the six
inaugural celebrations will be immediately recycled, reused or
composted, instead of being sent to landfills. The governor's team
hopes to make this the largest "zero waste" event ever in California
-- thanks to a cooperative effort between the state waste management
board and the private firm Waste Management.

For the complete SF Chronicle article go to:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/04/BAG31NCEUP1.DTL&hw=celebrity+inaugural&sn=006&sc=473

Gary Liss
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485