[GreenYes] Re: DELL free recycling program goes global

Remember how we all learned (or figured out) along the way, 'waste
always flows to the lowest-cost disposal point' (unless you put some
kind of barrier around that happening, policy or otherwise)?

Well this is really true with the global trade in scrap electronics.
There are two worthy non-profits who are working on this issue - David
Wood helped start and they are ongoing allies of GRRN in fact -- who can
give you the whole story on the sad export of e-scrap overseas. The
context: the U.S. is one of only about 3 nations worldwide that have not
signed on to the Basel Convention, the international treaty that
prevents export of hazardous waste to developing nations. Because of
this, it is not illegal for the US to export scrap electronics (with
their inherent cargo of hazardous chemicals) to the poor nations of the
world, where e-scrap is taken aprt in unhealthy conditions. For more on
this, see the Computer Takeback Campaign's site:
http://www.computertakeback.com/ - click on The Problem. Barbara Kyle
is the Campaign Coordinator and Ted Smith the strategic guy for more
info, doing excellent work to turn around these practices and push for
producer responsibility in this issue. Dell changed its practice of
using unprotected prison labor for recycling old Dell's as a result of
Ted's and Robin Schneider's work (and David W), and now uses US
electronics recyclers.

Or see http://www.ban.org/ - the Basel Action Network is working to get
the US to ratify the Basel Convention - a huge struggle - Jim Lynch and
Sarah Westervelt there are doing wonderful work as well. Take a look at
the Electronics Recylcer's Pledge of True Stewardship on this site -
these are the practices and electronics recylcers doing the 'greenest'
work here.

Steve, feel free to contact me for more info. about electronics
recycling -- it's a large part of my practice.
Yours,
Anne
Gracestone, Inc.
303.494.4934 vox