[GreenYes] Re: Zanzibar bans plastic bags

In 2002, Ireland imposed a 15-euro cent levy or surcharge on plastic
bags provided by stores and shops. It is estimated that this has
reduced the use of plastic bags by 90 per cent. The revenue raised goes
to an Environmental Fund which plans to spend 35 million euros on
recycling centres. The introduction of the so called PlasTax scheme has
been backed up by public awareness campaigns.

In Australia, IKEA put a 10 cent charge on its plastic bags while also
providing a re-usable alternative. It reports a 97 per cent drop in the
use of plastic bags.

In 2003 South Africa banned plastic bags thinner than 30 microns and
introduced a plastics levy some of which goes to a plastic bag
recycling company. It has witnessed a decrease in bag litter, a
reduction in the manufacture of plastic bags with some layoffs and a
growth in alternatives such as canvass bags.

Kenya is proposing a ban on the 30 micron or less bags and a plastic
bag levy.

Kenya has also linked plastic bag litter with malaria. The bags, when
discarded, can fill with rainwater offering ideal and new breeding
grounds for the malaria-carrying mosquitoes. (not sure if we have any
studies conducted on similar link with the mosquitoes carrying West
Nile Virus ?)

http://www.unep.org/Documents.Multilingual/Default.asp?DocumentID=424&ArticleID=4734&l=en

Improper disposal of plastic bags has caused several hundreds deaths in
India/Bangladesh by clogging the storm drains that resulted in urban
floods last year. Several states in India/Bangladesh have since banned
the use of thin plastic bags (less then 20 microns).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9085301/

Raj Lathigara