[GreenYes] Re: Is MSW recycling the best policy?

I¹ve heard and read these arguments before (see below). I have two

1. Recycling by its nature is micro-economic and depends upon a host of
factors such as regional disposal fees, local markets, competitive
processing facilities, the distance landfills are from collection points for
trash, curbside efficiencies (there are a slew of issues here including
participation rates, truck capacity, and human resource configurations),
etc.; i.e., what works in Philly will not necessarily work in St. Louis; I
do not think there is a way to do a meaningful macro-economic analysis.
2. Any cost-benefit analysis performed--even on a micro-economic
level--should take into account lifecycle cost issues, economic development
issues (remember there are significant multipliers for recycling businesses
that there aren¹t for trash), environmental issues (long haul trucking and
incinerators create a lot of emissions problems), total energy flows,
landfill and incinerator time horizons, the time value and opportunity cost
of investment options, the impact of population growth (especially large
urban centers outside the dying northeast) and ? this is the biggie, global
warming implications. No one is doing a good job at all that I see factoring
in the cost to society of long-term landfill management, mining and
clear-cutting ? all huge, huge, huge environmental issues with tremendous
global warming implications.

More to the point, all of this comes down to values and our beliefs as human
beings. I personally think that anyone throwing something away that can be
recycled is making a statement of ignorance and/or disrespect for the planet
we live on. I¹ve learned to not take this ignorance and disrespect
personally. Otherwise I would probably either have committed suicide a long
time ago or just gone postal. I¹ve run the numbers in our region (SE PA) and
I know recycling is a much better investment than trash. The problem we have
here is that so far the budget for recycling in municipalities in our region
does not match the level of recovery potential. If we want to manage 50% of
our waste stream through recycling systems, we really need 50% of the MSW
budget. This has never been the case. In Philly, the recycling program gets
about 7-8% of the MSW budget. In NY it¹s a little better, but not much. I¹m
sure this is true throughout the country. We¹re trying to build the future
here. Not the past and not the present. Show me the frickin¹ money!

That¹s my contribution to your question Stephan. Now I gotta pick my kids up
at school...

Db

--
David Biddle, Executive Director
<http://www.blueolives.blogspot.com>

215-247-3090 (desk)
215-432-8225 (cell)

<http://www.gpcrc.com>

Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
businesses in communities across North America!
Go to: <http://www.jgpress.com/inbusine.htm>