[GreenYes] Re: Apples to Apples

RicAnthony@no.address wrote:
> In a message dated 8/14/2006 6:48:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> stephan.pollard@no.address writes:Compost ranks lowest; it has the lowest material and
> water inputs and generates the least wastewater and waterborne waste.
>
> A question to those interested in this subject.
> What do you think of a national campaign to get organics out of landfill for
> resource management and climate control reasons.
> Rick

I was also pleased to see that a doctoral dissertation has been written
to compare lifecycle impacts of composting to in-sink disposers and
other methods of managing food waste. It stands to reason that
composting is the only one that preserves the integral value of the
material, preventing water pollution, generating less air quality
impacts.

Your question, Rick, is unclear. Do you mean getting organics out of
landfill via landfill mining or preventing their entry to landfill via
legislation or disincentive? I'm all for the latter (any kind of
prevention is tops in my book), but I wonder if anyone has written a
dissertation about the lifecycle impacts of landfill mining plus
recycling/composting what's pulled out Vs. leaving it there and mining
and manufacturing new materials/products.