Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:16:23 -0800
To: anc1@no.address, rhollis@no.address, spoonhour@no.address, ricanthony@no.address, scollins@no.address, toddh@no.address, bworrell@no.address, juliem@no.address, llukacs@no.address
From: Gary Liss <gary@no.address>
Subject: CRRA Board call 1/17 - agenda submittal
Cc: gary@no.address

Alec,

Here's my request of CRRA that we discussed. I'm heading out of town to help my dad recover from his 6th heart surgery in 7 weeks in 1 hour.

Gary
*******************

CRRA Board Agenda Submittal Form

Submitted By: Gary Liss
1. Issue: Governor's Strategic Growth Plan and Zero Waste by 2025
2. Status: I just circulated a proposal that the state adopt a $20-40/ton Zero Waste Fee on landfills. Half of the revenues to fund ZW initiatives. Half of the revenues to help with local match on state bonds, proportionate to the amount of reused, recycled or composted materials used in bond projects.

3. Background: In Europe over the past 10 years, they have adopted fees of $20-40/ton to help fund recycling and decrease greenhouse gases. We're working in the UK now where they have a $40/ton fee, and it has been amazing to me how effective that has been in changing the economics of Zero Waste and RR Parks there. San Jose already has over $19 in fees and taxes on landfilling, and they are a diversion leader. It's time that we put some real resources behind Zero Waste.

4. Recommended Action: I request that CRRA either: 1) endorse the proposal that I made to the Governor; or 2) support a modified proposal along these lines. Whichever direction is taken on that, I request that CRRA ask the Governor's office or the CIWMB to convene a special Task Force or Committee to review this proposal that would include a broad cross-section of interests in Zero Waste throughout California, to report back with recommendations to the Governor within a month. Some suggested groups are listed below. CRRA should expand upon that list to suggest to the Governor's office.

5. Financial Impact: This would have a major financial impact on California's Zero Waste initiatives and enable everyone in the state to embrace that goal (except maybe landfill operators that don't want to eliminate waste).

Potential Task Force members
scollins@no.address (Susan Collins)
ricanthony@no.address (Rick Anthony)
murray@no.address (Mark Murray, CAW)
gpetersen@no.address (Gary Petersen, CIWMB)
martin@no.address (Martin Bourque, Berkeley Ecology Center)
mwilson@no.address (Monica Wilson, GAIA)
aleonard@no.address (Ann Leonard, GAIA
drore@no.address (Dan Knapp, Urban Ore)
recyclmoore@no.address (John Moore)
david.assmann@no.address (David Assmann, San Francisco)
tpadia@no.address (Tom Padia, StopWaste.org)
modemo@no.address (John Davis)
Steve Lautze, Recycling Market Development Zone Administrators Assn.
mrdarrylyoung@no.address (Darryl Young)
magavern@no.address (Bill Magavern, Sierra Club)
bill@no.address (Bill Sheehan, Product Policy Institute)
anderson@no.address (Peter Anderson, Recycleworlds Consulting)
Evan Edgar (CA Refuse Removal Council)
Yvonne Hunter (League of CA Cities)
Matt Cotton (Integrated Waste Management Consulting)
Alec Cooley
Solid Waste Reduction Manager
Humboldt State University
Arcata, Ca 95521