[GreenYes] Re: Grasscycling

Christine,
A hauler I worked for in Boulder County, Colorado ran a rebate program in 1997 for mulching mowers. At that time, our local ag extension service provided us with an estimate of how much grass is grown per yard, per year, in this region. Obviously that quantity is going to be more (on a per-square-foot basis) in the humid East Coast, than here in the semi-arid West. You may be able to get local information from the VA ag service, and then info on average lot size from the City of Alexandria. We've had a few serious drought years since then, and a big move toward xeriscaping, so I expect generation quantities are generally way down here. Which is to say it's not an exact science!

Here's how we estimated diversion:

Estimated Diversion.
Although some of the participants may have switched to mulching mid-summer, our estimate is based on a summer's worth of grass diversion. Using our estimates of 1.5 pounds of grass/household/day and a 6-month growing season, 270 pounds/household/year is diverted. Assuming 246 households receive rebates, that equals about 33.2 tons of grass to be diverted from the landfill this year - and for each year to come.

Good luck,
Anne Peters
Gracestone, Inc.
Boulder, CO
303.494.4934 vox
303.494.4880 fax

Christine.McCoy@no.address wrote:

Does anyone have a methodology for calculating how much grass is diverted through grasscycling?? I thought Seattle did something on this, but can't seem to find the reference.

Thanks much,

Christine McCoy
City of Alexandria