[GreenYes] Governor Appoints Rosario Marin Secretary of the State and Consumer Services Agency

From: http://www.governor.ca.gov/state/govsite/gov_htmlprint.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0390436319.1138751616@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjaddglhfmgggcfngcfkmdffidfnf.0&sFilePath=%2fgovsite%2fpress_release%2f2006_01%2f20060131_GAAS07106_Marin.html&sTitle=Governor+Schwarzenegger+Appoints+Rosario+Marin+Secretary+of+the+State+and+Consumer+Services+Agency&sCatTitle=Press+Release&sSubCat=null&iOID=73790

Press Release
OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
GAAS:071:06
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
01/31/2006

Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Rosario Marin Secretary of the State and Consumer Services Agency

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today announced the appointment of Rosario Marin as secretary of the State and Consumer Services Agency.

"Rosario's decades of experience serving and representing the people of California at the federal, state and local levels have given her a unique understanding of the important ways in which government is accountable and must be responsive to the people it serves," said Governor Schwarzenegger. "She is the right person to lead the State and Consumer Services Agency and I look forward to hearing her wise counsel and advice as a member of my cabinet."

Since 2004, Marin has served as a member and chair of the Integrated Waste Management Board. She was appointed treasurer of the United States by President George W. Bush in 2001 and served until 2003. Previously, Marin served as a member of the city council and as mayor of the City of Huntington Park from 1994 to 2001. Marin served under Governor Pete Wilson as deputy director of the Governor's Office of Community Relations from 1997 to 1998. She was assistant deputy director of the Department of Social Services in 1997, chair of the Council on Developmental Disabilities from 1994 to 1997, and chief of legislative affairs at the Department of Developmental Services from 1992 to 1993. Marin has also served as a member of several public boards and commissions including as president of the Mayors and Councils Department of the League of California Cities and vice chair of the Latino caucus, chair of the Southeast Community Development Corporation and as a member of the California Film Commission. She is a member of the Special Olympics International Board of Directors, and was formerly on the Board of Governors for Community, Mission and Lincoln Hospitals and the National Association of Latino Elected Officials.

"I am honored Governor Schwarzenegger has asked me to use my knowledge and understanding of the operations of government to better the lives of Californians in this important role," said Marin. "We should always remember government must serve the needs of the people and I look forward to continuing to work alongside the Governor to build a better California for future generations."

Marin, 47, of Huntington Park, earned a bachelor's degree in business administration from California State University, Los Angeles and completed the Program for Senior Executives in State and Local Government at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government. This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $131,412. Marin is a Republican.