Climate Change Warriors and Heroes

Hey Folks-

Salon.com <http://www.salon.com/> has a great article out today in
conjunction with Rolling Stone magazine. Climate Warriors and Heroes: Meet
the 28 Leaders ­ scientists, politicians, activists, celebrities, and
inventors?who are fighting to stave off planetwide catastrophe. (If you¹re
not a subscriber, you can still get a site pass by sitting through a few
pages of Infiniti advertisements ... which is rather ironic, if you think
about it). They do not list one ZeroWaster or Recycling Pioneer as a
warrior/hero though. Possibly someone will point this out in their comments
section, however, to my mind it means we need to get on the stick doing a
better, more provocative job linking waste resource management and planning
to global climate change and greenhouse gas reductions.

It¹s a nice piece in any event, summarizing the breadth of problem solving
and commitment in the field. There¹s also an accompanying essay by Al Gore
(who I just fingered for downplaying environmental politics in his campaign
in my latest essay at GetUnderground.com). Might have been nice to see this
issue front and center back in 2000?or 2004?

db
<http://bluolives.blogspot.com>

Here¹s a clipping:
Nov. 04, 2005 | Global warming is a planetary emergency everywhere but in
the White House. While the Bush administration fiddles, the rest of the
world burns with concern about the earth's rising temperature. With our
industries billowing a relentless stream of gases into the atmosphere,
trapping heat, we're decimating our natural ecosystems, exacting an
incalculable toll on our planet and future health.

The climate warriors and heroes honored here embody the environment's best
defense. They are scientists, ministers, students, politicians, activists,
lawyers, celebrities, inventors, and world leaders. As Al Gore says in his
accompanying essay, they share little in common. "But each of them
recognized the threat that climate change poses to the planet -- and
responded by taking immediate action to stop it," Gore writes.

The range of their actions is remarkable. A college dropout tours the
country in a bus that runs on vegetable oil, educating young people about
fuel efficiency. The CEO of General Electric, one of the world's biggest
polluters, argues for a federal policy to reduce global warming. An emissary
from the Inuit in the Arctic accuses the United States of violating the
rights of her people by refusing to curb its climate-heating pollution.

David Biddle, Executive Director

P.O. Box 4037
Philadelphia, PA 19118
215-247-3090
215-432-8225 (mobile)
Dbiddle@no.address

<WWW.GPCRC.COM>

Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
businesses in communities across North America!
Go to: <http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/jgpress/>