From: Rose Niemi [mailto:Rose@no.address]
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 2:45 PM
To: greenyes@no.address
Subject: RE: Fwd: Re: [greenyes] From Oil to Plastics

Another suggestion:

wayne's site looks very interesting, but if you want something less
thorough, try http://www.sdplastics.com/plastics.html

Rose Niemi
Merced County Association of Governments
369 West 18th Street
Merced CA 95340
209-723-3153, extension 315
rose@no.address

>>> "Wayne Turner" <WAYNET@no.address> 10/07/2005 11:51 AM >>>
Rod,

You might try these two websites combined. The first one is a very
understandable website about oil refining and gets you to the point of
producing natural gas which is a feedstock for plastics. The second one is
about polymerization, is a little more academic but still a good website
showing how you chain the molecules together to form plastic. I used the
second one to educate myself on the subject of plastics a few years ago.

I hope they help.

Wayne

http://science.howstuffworks.com/oil-refining.htm

http://www.kcpc.usyd.edu.au/discovery/Syllabus.html

>>> "Rod Muir" <rodmuir@no.address> 10/07/05 1:23 PM >>>
For months now I have been looking for a fairly detailed layman's
explanation of how oil and gas become plastics.
Can anyone make a recommendation

Things seem a bit quiet on the list lately.
Hope all are in good spirits

Thanks
Rod

Find e-mail, documents and more on your PC instantly with Windows Desktop
Search*FREE!