[greenyes] Fwd: Green rebuilding after the hurricanes?

To: "Fostering Sustainable Behavior Listserv" <fsb@no.address>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:13:30 -0400
From: Mel Tremper PhD <mtremper@no.address>
Subject: rebuilding after the hurricanes

I wonder if there is any effort on the part of environmentalists or others to put forth an agenda for a "green" or "sustainable" rebuilding plan for the parts of the coast that have been affected by the recent hurricanes. Some things I can think of are:

1. Federal (or other entity) purchase of beaches/wetlands/watershed areas etc which would contribute significantly to the mitigation of future storm damage or to the maintenance of wildlife species etc. in order to set the land aside as environmental buffer zones.

2. Rebuilding schools and other public buildings using green technology including "living roofs." Special federal incentive matching grants could be used to induce local governments to adopt this sort of engineering/construction approach.

3. Instead of tax breaks for businesses to start up and conduct business as usual, what about tax breaks for "green" physical plant reconstruction, and tax breaks for employers who agree to adopt low impact manufacturing methods, materials recycling, and employee supportive personel policies?

4. Building rail transit structures and systems. Since many of the structures in possible rights of way are already slated for demolition, this would be an opportunity to minimize the cost of a long term investment in more efficient transportation for the region.

I am sure there must be other ideas for reconstructing t

Gary Liss
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485
www.garyliss.com