[greenyes] FW: You sent Gary Liss the wrong data

My apologies for sending the wrong data to Gary Liss and others about PET
recycling rates in the U.S.

The U.S. PET plastic bottle recycling rate was 20% in 2003 (not 10% as I
said in my email)...the PET custom bottle recycling rate in 2003 was 10%.
So many numbers to remember!!! That means that 8 (not 9) out of every 10
PET bottles sold in the U.S. do not get recycled. The data for Sweden was
correct. The PET bottle recycling rate there is 80%. They are recycling 80%
and trashing 20%....in the U.S. we are recycling 20% and trashing 80%.
Again, my apologies, and thanks to our research director, Jenny Gitlitz, for
catching my mistake.

Cheers!!

Pat Franklin
Patricia Franklin
Executive Director
Container Recycling Institute
TEL: 703.276.9800 FAX: 703.276.9587
EMAIL: pfranklin@no.address
http://www.container-recycling.org
http://www.bottlebill.info

On 8/16/05 7:26 PM, Pat Franklin at pfranklin@no.address wrote:

> "Environmental Sustainability and Recycling in Action"
> .... oh brother!!!! the PET plastic bottle recycling rate has dropped to
> 10% in the US of A ......YES, that means that 9 out of 10 PET bottles do
not
> get recycled.......oh, and by the way, in Sweden, where all PET beverage
> bottles have a deposit value, the reycling rate is 80%..ie 8 out of 10
> bottles DO get recycled.

--Jenny

Jennifer Gitlitz
Research Director, Container Recycling Institute

Home Office:
2 Pomeroy Ave.
Dalton, MA 01226
Tel. (413) 684-4746
Mobile: (413) 822-0115
Fax: (413) 403-0233
Email: jgitlitz@no.address

Please note the new address for CRI¹s main office:
Container Recycling Institute
1601 North Kent St., Suite 803
Arlington, VA 22209-2105
Tel. (703) 276-9800