[greenyes] Climate Disruption - CA Gov. Schwarzenegger Takes Position

NEW YORK TIMES - June 2, 2005
Schwarzenegger Issues Plan to Reduce Greenhouse Gases
By CAROLYN MARSHALL
SAN FRANCISCO, June 1 - Speaking to hundreds of international leaders
gathered here for the United Nations World Environment Day, Gov. Arnold
Schwarzenegger announced a plan to reduce California's contribution to gases
that many scientists believe cause global warming.
Mr. Schwarzenegger, a Republican, outlined his ambitious goals on Wednesday
in a three-tiered Environmental Action Plan intended to reduce California's
greenhouse gas emissions in less than five years to less than the levels in
2000.
The plan calls for the further reduction of emissions by 2020 to less than
the levels produced in 1990, and for the reduction, by 2050, of emissions to
80 percent less than the levels in 1990.
"I say the debate is over," Mr. Schwarzenegger told about 500 guests,
including mayors from more than 70 cities from around the world invited to
hear the announcement at City Hall. "We know the science. We see the threat,
and we know the time for action is now."
"...
"...
"...
The plan unveiled by the governor on Wednesday, which is not binding, will
rely in part on requirements already outlined by a 2002 state law that
required the state Air Resources Board to develop a plan by this year to
reduce greenhouse gas emissions from noncommercial vehicles. However, the
plan was criticized as having no enforcement mechanisms, and some scientists
have said it does not go far enough.
Some international advocates of climate change who had gathered in San
Francisco, the first United States city to ever host the U.N. conference,
said the governor's plan sends a clear signal to the international community
that many American elected officials support the effort to resolve global
warming.

FOR FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/02/national/02arnold.html?pagewanted=print
_________________________
Peter Anderson, President
RECYCLEWORLDS CONSULTING
4513 Vernon Blvd. Suite 15
Madison, WI 53705-4964
Ph: (608) 231-1100
Fax: (608) 233-0011
Cell: (608) 698-1314
eMail: anderson@no.address
web: www.recycleworlds.net

CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto,
is covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C., Sections 2510-2521.
This message is CONFIDENTIAL. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message,
then any retention, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Please notify me if you received
this message in error at anderson@no.address
and then delete it.