[greenyes] Climate Disruption - Administration Dilutes Plans for Strong Statement by G-8

NY TIMES

une 18, 2005
G-8 Draft on Global Warming Is Weakened at U.S. Behest
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
WASHINGTON, June 17 - Drafts of a joint statement being prepared for the
leaders of the major industrial powers show that the Bush administration has
succeeded in removing language calling for prompt action to control global
warming.

The statement is being negotiated in advance of the annual Group of 8
summit, which is to be held in Scotland next month. Prime Minister Tony
Blair of Britain, president of the group this year, has sought to focus the
summit on aid to Africa and on climate change.

The statement, first outlined last month by British officials, is meant to
reflect the eight countries' shared concerns and plans regarding climate
change. Drafts have been batted back and forth since mid-May.

A newly disclosed version, the first showing specifically what changes were
sought by the Bush administration, was provided to The New York Times on
Friday by someone in Europe involved with shaping the British stance on the
issue.

It is dated May 27, and the revisions, many of which are also reflected in a
June 14 version, vividly illustrate the broad gulf between the United States
and the group's other members: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan,
Britain and Russia.

Several other drafts, showing changes but not indicating which countries
sought them, have been released by environmental groups over the last few
weeks. The June 14 draft was described in the European news media earlier in
the week and in The Washington Post on Friday.

Among the changes reflected in the May 27 draft was the deletion of an
introductory statement, "Our world is warming." The annotated American copy
of the document also offered comments to negotiators for the other nations
like "we should avoid the term 'targets' " and "we should leave the
definition of what constitutes 'ambitious' to each leader, given their
respective national circumstances."

"...

"...

"...

FOR FULL ARTICLE
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/18/politics/18climate.html?pagewanted=print

_________________________
Peter Anderson, President
RECYCLEWORLDS CONSULTING
4513 Vernon Blvd. Suite 15
Madison, WI 53705-4964
Ph: (608) 231-1100
Fax: (608) 233-0011
Cell: (608) 698-1314
eMail: anderson@no.address
web: www.recycleworlds.net

CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto,
is covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C., Sections 2510-2521.
This message is CONFIDENTIAL. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message,
then any retention, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Please notify me if you received
this message in error at anderson@no.address
and then delete it.