RE: Fwd: [BBAN]: [greenyes] Aseptic containers: Alcoaannouncesnew recycling proc...

As Eric suggests there is nothing simple about getting a product ban,
especially in today's climate. However, 17 years ago in simpler times,
Portland, Oregon, Berkeley and several dozen other cities did ban the
use of expanded polystyrene (EPS) cups and containers for retail use.
As a result, the PS resin producers and container manufacturers formed
a recycling company that opened three plants to recycle post-consumer
EPS. Unfortunately, there was no followup by government to ensure
ongoing recycling and the plastics companies gradually shut down their
plants.

>>> "Eric Lombardi" <eric@no.address> 5/26/05 2:03:34 PM >>>

I agree with Doug that the energy savings are an important factor in
this packaging type. But another problem with the suggestion from
"Jdresser" is that there is nothing "simple" about getting a product
"ban" in place. I don't know which country this person lives in, but
in the Western States of America even suggesting a product ban will get
you labeled as un-American! Eric Eric LombardiExecutive
DirectorEco-Cycle Inc303-444-6634www.ecocycle.org "We have multiplied
our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too
seldom and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a
life" George Carlin