[greenyes] Curbside recycling quantities and set-out rates

Dear Fellow GreenYes folk,

I am writing in search of information regarding curbside recycling quantities and set-out rates.

One of the four rural MD Counties our regional program serves is working on a study to consider expanding County services to include curbside trash, and possibly curbside recycling, collection.

For purposes of the study, weekly dual stream (containers & fiber) recycling collection is assumed. Currently the container type is assumed to be 18 gallon bins for containers & bundles for fiber.

As part of the study we are interested in reasonable assumptions for several parameters:

a.. Quantity (lbs) per household
b.. Set-out Rate (%)
At your earliest convenience, we are most interested in any readily available, real-world data you may have regarding quantity per household and set-out rate.

In addition, I welcome any insight regarding curbside recycling collection considerations, in general. Since the county would essentially be starting from scratch as far as curbside recycling, collection methods, frequency & container types are all available for consideration.

Currently for recycling, residents have access to 16 recycling drop-off stations (using 7 color-coded igloo-shaped receptacles for Mixed Metal Cans, ONP, Mags & mixed paper, Plastic 1& 2 bottles, & 3 colors of glass ... Cardboard, oil, antifreeze, scrap metal & textiles also are accepted at 5 transfer stations) and curbside recycling service available in two small towns, and by subscription, with a non-profit recycler. A neighboring county, and partner in our regional recycling program, provides curbsort collection by county forces.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

James Wood
Recycling "Shore" Matters!