[greenyes] Fwd:on Waste Management bond funding

So, after some hard work by the environmental community, it appears that the Michigan Strategic Fund will now adopt policies which would allow interest free bonds for Recycling projects, but NOT landfills!!! Note that this funding to WMI [and others] has been going on for years [see the archives for my previous posts], but with some changes in membership of this Board under an environmentally friendlier governor, the egregious practice may finally be stopped.

--- Begin Message ---
  • Subject: RE: STOP THE PRESSES on Waste Management piece
  • From: "Anne Woiwode" <anne.woiwode@no.address>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:23:31 -0400
Rack up one for the good guys!! The Michigan Strategic Fund Board met today
and adopted (with the expectation of minor tweaking) a policy that would end
the use of the IDRB funds for the construction of landfills! The policy
states, in keeping with IRS codes, etc., that the IDRB financing be used
for:

1) Small Issue Manufacturing projects ($10M cap)

2) Exempt facilities, i.e., solid waste, wastewater treatment water
systems to handle the waste generated by the company itself (no cap)

3) Recycling projects (no cap)

There also was discussion about the funding of CAFOs, and I had testified
again asking them to discontinue economic development support for CAFOs.
John Czarnecki, who staffs the MSFBoard said that they are looking at what
the policy should be on CAFOs and the staff will be making a recommendation
to the Board either in May or June on this, and that this recommendation
would be expected to be wrapped into the newly adopted policy.

The policy also notes as well if the full allocation of financing authority
(the allocation is set by federal statute) is not used up by these projects
during the FY, they will return that to Treasury to be used for the Michigan
Higher Education Student Loan Authority and/or MSHDA, with preference on the
student loans.

Brad and I both have copies of the document handed out to the Board with
background and the proposed policy - it is called "ISSUE: USE OF IDRB
FINANCING FOR SOLID WASTE" and I would be happy to fax it to anyone who
wants to see it!

Anne Woiwode

Anne Woiwode, Michigan State Director

Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter

109 East Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906

517-484-2372 fax 517-484-3108

www.michigan.sierraclub.org