[greenyes] Re: Eco-friendly cafeteria supplies and other topics of interest

Art,

I recognize the oversimplification I've suggested in the whole process, the concept I wanted to highlight was that of Zero Waste and the opportunities to set such a goal locally, plan for it and then implement the process. Zero Waste represents the opportunity to address these issues head on. So yes, Dana, simple answer - switch back to reuseable dishes and flatware and stop trying to throw things away - because here on Earth there is no "away" to throw things - our consumption decisions and the throw away society we've created (or allowed producers to create) is not acceptable.

Find out more about what you can do for New Jersey by coming across the Hudson and joining us at GRRN's 2nd Zero Waste Action Conference in NYC May 23-25, without GRRN we would have the Greenyes listserve and we wouldn't have a chance to make progress against the throwaway society that threatens us now and is becoming all the more detrimental to future generations everyday. Just check out www.grrn.org for more information on the conference and to register online.

Thanks,
Timothy J.W. Logan
Lead Organizer, NYC Zero Waste Campaign

Art Krenzel <phoenix98604@no.address> wrote:
Timothy,

While you were "moving and grooving" through your suggested alternatives, you mentioned alot of technology which cannot be purchased at your local Lowe's store, run by operators who cannot get trained at the local community college and odor control that, unless TOTALLY successful, will water your eyes at 100 yards. While all the technologies have been proven, the process equipment used in a project of this size only exists in VAPORWARE or the third world.

Although your suggestions make good intuitive sense, the devil is in the details of purchasing the pieces, keeping it running, finding people to operate it day in and day out as well as dealing with the health department over issues such as disease control, odors, material handling, operator exposure problems, etc.

You breezed right through the entire composting process for the solids remaining after biogas production. Starting from anaerobic feedstocks in an odor sensitive area have cost major cities like Spokane, WA to completely drop their yardwaste recycling program. You can gloss over these items on paper but when the waste hits the road and leaves a smelly grease spot, the people demand that you have a good solution - RIGHT NOW.

Implementing your suggestion will require more money, time and training than most people can appreciate. I can show you hundreds of tons of scrap steel from dairy biogas facilities which were decommissioned because of the lack of good operators, excessive maintenance and poor economics. The long term successful operation of facilities such as these is less than you would expect for such a simple process.

Art Krenzel, P.E.
PHOENIX TECHNOLOGIES
10505 NE 285TH Street
Battle Ground, WA 98604
360-666-1883 voice
phoenix98604@no.address

REGISTER NOW for The Second National Zero Waste Action Conference

New York City - May 23-25, 2005

?Building Zero Waste Communities: Tools to Take Home?

FOR MORE INFO OR TO REGISTER ONLINE, GO TO www.grrn.org.