[greenyes] NYC Speaker misses the point, but public response understands Zero Waste alternative

Greenyes'ers,

In response to Good Friday's article "Higher Costs Could Upset Trash Plan Mayor Favors", which could most appropriately be cited as the Gifford Miller Mayoral Campaign Op-Ed piece, the following letter to the editor was printed in today's NY Times - it sounds like the public asking for Zero Waste to me. The Speaker of our City Council also fails to recognize the over three million vehicular miles traveled annually within NYC that would be reduced under our current Mayor's plans as a benefit in a part of the country which has never been in compliance under the Clean Air Act.

Sincerely,
Timothy J.W. Logan
Lead Organizer, NYC Zero Waste Campaign

Just Make Less Trash
Published: March 28, 2005

ARTICLE TOOLSPrinter-Friendly FormatMost E-Mailed Articles
1.
Op-Ed Columnist: Geo-Greening by Example

2.
Amsterdam Journal: A Dutch Soccer Riddle: Jewish Regalia Without Jews

3.
Frank Rich: The God Racket, From DeMille to DeLay

4.
Op-Ed Columnist: The Vatican Code

5.
If I Only Had a Hedge Fund

Go to Complete List

To the Editor:

"Higher Costs Could Upset Trash Plan Mayor Favors" (news article, March 25) didn't mention the simplest strategy for lowering the cost of New York City's garbage disposal: reducing the amount of trash we New Yorkers generate.

Waste reduction is not impossible. It can be accomplished by a combination of education (advertising), policy (reducing the trash generated by city agencies), legislation (requiring less packaging) and pricing (pay as you throw). The most difficult aspect of waste reduction is changing the mind-set of the bureaucracy.

Reduce, reuse, recycle. There's a reason why "reduce" comes first.

David Levner
Rego Park, Queens, March 25, 2005