[greenyes] Evangelical Concern with Environment
 washingtonpost.com
The Greening of Evangelicals
Christian Right Turns, Sometimes Warily, to Environmentalism
By Blaine Harden
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, February 6, 2005; Page A01

SEATTLE -- Thanks to the Rev. Leroy Hedman, the parishioners at Georgetown
Gospel Chapel take their baptismal waters cold. The preacher has unplugged
the electricity-guzzling heater in the immersion baptism tank behind his
pulpit. He has also installed energy-saving fluorescent light bulbs
throughout the church and has placed water barrels beneath its gutter
pipes -- using runoff to irrigate the congregation's all-organic gardens.

Such "creation care" should be at the heart of evangelical life, Hedman
says, along with condemning abortion, protecting family and loving Jesus. He
uses the term "creation care" because, he says, it does not annoy
conservative Christians for whom the word "environmentalism" connotes
liberals, secularists and Democrats.

"It's amazing to me that evangelicals haven't gone quicker for the green,"
Hedman said. "But as creation care spreads, evangelicals will demand
different behavior from politicians. The Republicans should not take us for
granted."

There is growing evidence -- in polling and in public statements of church
leaders -- that evangelicals are beginning to go for the green. Despite
wariness toward mainstream environmental groups, a growing number of
evangelicals view stewardship of the environment as a responsibility
mandated by God in the Bible.

"The environment is a values issue," said the Rev. Ted Haggard, president of
the 30 million-member National Association of Evangelicals. "There are
significant and compelling theological reasons why it should be a banner
issue for the Christian right."

In October, the association's leaders adopted an "Evangelical Call to Civic
Responsibility" that, for the first time, emphasized every Christian's duty
to care for the planet and the role of government in safeguarding a
sustainable environment.

"We affirm that God-given dominion is a sacred responsibility to steward the
earth and not a license to abuse the creation of which we are a part," said
the statement, which has been distributed to 50,000 member churches.
"Because clean air, pure water, and adequate resources are crucial to public
health and civic order, government has an obligation to protect its citizens
from the effects of environmental degradation."

Signatories included highly visible, opinion-swaying evangelical leaders
such as Haggard, James Dobson of Focus on the Family and Chuck Colson of
Prison Fellowship Ministries. Some of the signatories are to meet in March
in Washington to develop a position on global warming, which could place
them at odds with the policies of the Bush administration, according to
Richard Cizik, the association's vice president for governmental affairs.

Also last fall, Christianity Today, an influential evangelical magazine,
weighed in for the first time on global warming. It said that "Christians
should make it clear to governments and businesses that we are willing to
adapt our lifestyles and support steps towards changes that protect our
environment."

The magazine came out in favor of a global warming bill -- sponsored by
Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Joseph I. Lieberman (D-Conn.) -- that the
Bush administration opposed and the Republican-controlled Senate defeated.

Polling has found a strengthening consensus among evangelicals for strict
environmental rules, even if they cost jobs and higher prices, said John C.
Green, director of the Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics at the
University of Akron. In 2000, about 45 percent of evangelicals supported
strict environmental regulations, according to Green's polling. That jumped
to 52 percent last year.

"It has changed slowly, but it has changed," Green said. "There is now a lot
of ferment out there."

Such ferment matters because evangelicals are politically active. Nearly
four out of five white evangelical Christians voted last year for President
Bush, constituting more than a third of all votes cast for him, according to
the Pew Research Center. The analysis found that the political clout of
evangelicals has increased as their cohesiveness in backing the Republican
Party has grown. Republicans outnumber Democrats within the group by more
than 2 to 1.

There is little to suggest in recent elections that environmental concerns
influenced the evangelical vote -- indeed, many members of Congress who
receive 100 percent approval ratings from Christian advocacy groups get
failing grades from environmental groups. But the latest statements and
polls have caught the eye of established environmental organizations.

Several are attempting to make alliances with the Christian right on
specific issues, such as global warming and the presence of mercury and
other dangerous toxins in the blood of newborn children.

"...

"...

"...

"...

_________________________
Peter Anderson, President
RECYCLEWORLDS CONSULTING
4513 Vernon Blvd. Suite 15
Madison, WI 53705-4964
Ph: (608) 231-1100
Fax: (608) 233-0011
Cell: (608) 698-1314
eMail: anderson@no.address
web: www.recycleworlds.net

         CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto,
is covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C., Sections 2510-2521.
This message is CONFIDENTIAL. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message,
then any retention, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Please notify me if you received
this message in error at anderson@no.address
and then delete it.