[greenyes] volume to weight conversion factor for CRTs or TVs
A couple of months ago a greenyes member asked if anyone had a standard volume
to weight conversion factor for e-wastes such as CRTs or TVs.  I don't recall
who this was but I did run across the following information on that subject:

EPA provides many useful volume to weight conversion factor for a variety of
wastes includig apliances and batteries at:
http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/non-hw/recycle/recmeas/docs/guide_b.pdf
however CRTs and TVs are not included in that guide.

I ran across the following study that reports detailed weight calculations for
glass in CRTs and TV's for various "inch screens" (19 inch, etc) .

Electronic Product Recovery and Recycling (EPR2) and Electronics Recycling
Summit Presentations  CATHODE RAY TUBE MANUFACTURING AND RECYCLING: ANALYSIS
OF INDUSTRY SURVEY  A. Monchamp, H. Evans, J. Nardone, S. Wood, E. Proch and
T. Wagner, Electronic Industries Alliance, Arlington, VA 22201 USA, Spring,
2001.

http://www.nsc.org/ehc/epr2/nardone/nardone.htm

If one were to assume that the glass wt of a TV/CRT is 95% (or some other
percent) of the units weight and if one used the screen size with a reasonable
adjustment factor for the plastic housing/casing then perhaps a rather handy
conversion factor would be available.

Best,
Antoinette "Toni" Stein, PhD
800 Magnolia Street