materials, glass for one, are perfect examples of materials that have been
and can be recycled at their highest and best value. They should be
supported, lauded and incentive zed - not dropped.

#1 >(1) broken glass will contaminate the paper stream and reduce prices
>gotten for it;

AF&PA reports that single stream is costing them an additional $8 ton. Paper
mills owned by Weyerhaeuser, Sonoco, SP Newsprint and others all report that
they will and do pay less for single stream and in many cases refuse to
handle it at all. Several Canadian Mills report that they are increasing
their use of virgin fiber (trees) because of quality issues due to single
stream. Since WMI is the largest recycler in the country they have a
certain amount of persuasion over the mills that need their paper. As I
result I suggest that we are all actually getting less money for our paper
single stream of source separated to cover these mills costs in handling WMI
and other single stream low quality paper. You can get a report from AF&PA
on the impacts of single stream on paper recycling a www.af&pa.org

#2>(2) recycling glass isn't profitable unless it's separated by color;

I don't know what your glass markets are like in Delaware but you definitely
won't get anything close to the same money for mixed glass. Additionally,
from a single stream program the glass is often not even good enough to be
sold as a three-color mix but has to be used as some aggregate material. The
Glass Packaging Industry www.gpi.org might have better information for you.
Also, NRC is supposed to be working with a Glass Advisory Group on these
issues, so you may want to contact them. www.nrc-recycle.org

>(3) the tonnage is relatively small and decreasing (as plastic containers
>take over) and glass is OK to landfill as a stable material.

Some make the argument that of all things glass is good in landfills. Heck
it is inert. This is the shortest and most damaging environmental view of
recycling. Is recycling about putting inert materials in landfills? Is
Helen's view that recycling is about what gets collected at the curb not
what actually happens too the materials that are collected? IS our only
choice to drop the 15- 18% by weight of what is currently recovered in glass
bottles to gain the 20+% that we can achieve by adding organics? While
plastic bottles and aluminum cans made in this country continue to be
recycled at lower and lower rates - glass is the only bottle that has not
lost tons in the recycling rates....yet. About decreasing amounts of glass,
according to Jerry Powell of Resource Recycling magazine, glass bottle
packaging has recently seen an increase in their market share of packaging.

IF ONLY THE PROBLEM WAS CONFINED TO GLASS...Portland metro in Oregon is the
example that Helen uses for information on organics (which clearly should be
the next material we target). I suggest you also look at the decision
Portland metro made to keep glass in their program by using a two stream
method instead of single stream. Portland metro collects all materials
except glass in one bin and collects glass in a separate bin but on the same
truck. They did this to resolve the issue that they had with excessive
amounts of glass in their paper. At this year's NRC Congress, Portland metro
reported that although much less there continues to be glass in the paper
since residents were first told to put all materials together. More
importantly, they have conclusive information that indicates that they have
a great deal of plastic in their paper from the single sort method. (Single
sort would be similar to the dry fraction in a wet dry program that Helen
suggests.)They are currently considering how they can address this new
dilemma.

So my question back to you, is it time to drop glass and plastic bottles
from recycling programs? Anything else we should stop recycling so that we
can be more sustainable?

Susan Hubbard
CEO
Eureka Recycling