RE: [greenyes] U.S. Trade Policy

Although there are requirements to report subsidies and countervailing measures to the WTO, this effort suffers from two important deficits. First, there are gaps in how the WTO defines subsidies that leave many programs out. Second, there is a huge range in the quality and coverage of the information that countries do report to the WTO even on the programs that are covered under current definitions. The organization has not yet chosen to clamp down on these reporting deficits, perhaps due to politicals pressures against doing so. In any case, a couple of draft papers I've seen don't suggest the situation will improve any time soon.

_______________________________
Doug Koplow
Earth Track, Inc.
2067 Massachusetts Avenue - 4th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02140
www.earthtrack.net
Tel: 617/661-4700
Fax: 617/354-0463

CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto, is for the designated recipient
only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private
information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

>>> "Reindl, John" <Reindl@no.address> 10/13/04 09:07AM >>>
On the issue of tax subsidies and the wTO, does anyone have any information
about why the subsidies for mining and forestry are also not being brought
before the WTO?

As a recycler, I am especially concerned about the subsidies to forestry,
since paper and wood are the largest components of the material stream that
we handle, and are the largest parts of what goes into landfills.

Forestry not only receives massive subsidies in the US at the federal level,
but also at the state and local level, through state and county ownership of
forests that don't pay property taxes, income taxes or sales taxes, and
programs to provide tax breaks for private forests, such as Wisconsin's,
which has a price tag of somewhere around $50 to $100 million a year.

John Reindl
Dane County, WI