[greenyes] Re: Recycling programs not cost effective

Hi Buford

On a broad scale the evidence is overwhelming: recycling does work and
yes there are markets for materials AND IT IS ALSO true that a given
program may not be "cost effective" given your circumstances and further
complicated by the priorities of local officials. I don't think you can
make this assessment without looking closely at your own situation. The
viability of your program will depend on the proximity to local markets
for the materials you chose to recycle, how much processing is required
(to meet market specifications) and the way one chooses to implement the
program. It's very possible that you can build a cost effective program
if there is a willingness to invest in the infrastructure.

I suspect you can find plenty of information to win the broad
"recycling" argument, but that won't necessarily make recycling happen
in Dickenson County. Assuming you are committed to that end, I suggest
tracking down that report that claims that recycling is not cost
effective and working the very capable officials in the Virginia DEQ to
help you build your case and your strategy make recycling happen. There
is some interesting information on the Virginia DEQ website about
recycling markets in your state
(http://www.deq.state.va.us/recycle/recycle.html) and it might be useful
to you to get the report that supports that posting. I noted a email
link there to Steve Coe-I suggest taking your questions to him.

Good luck to you.

Maurice Sampson