[greenyes] More on REFPET bottles

Someone else wrote and said:

Hi Pat,
I am from Europe originally (live in CA) and I can tell you for sure that I
have not seen water or beer being sold in refillable PET bottles. It's
mostly soda pop.

Which one of the two - single-use or refillable systems - is more feasible
or environmentally friendly is an old and very controversial fight.
According to the last I heard they are very close if you balance pros and
cons by energy conservation standards as well as pollution.

************************************

My response was as follows:

Thanks for the note. An article in Packaging World titled "Carlsberg's
plastic beer bottle adds barrier" reads: Just a few months after introducing
a refillable beer bottle made of polyethylene naphthalate in Denmark (see
Packaging World, Sept. '99, p. 10, or packworld. com/go/ carlsberg),
Copenhagen-based Carlsberg AS has announced its Carlsberg-Tetley subsidiary
is launching a one-way plastic beer bottle in the United Kingdom. Made by
Schmalbach-Lubeca (Manchester, MI), the 500-mL bottle weighs 29 g. It is
co-injection/ stretch blow-molded and consists of "modified" nylon between
two layers of polyethylene terephthalate. Schmalbach-Lubeca isn't saying if
the bottle incorporates an oxygen scavenger.

The url to the article is at
http://www.packworld.com/articles/Departments/10673.html

I also added that it would be difficult to convince me that a plastic
one-way beverage bottle is more environmentally sound than a plastic
beverage bottle that can be refilled dozens of times. Life cycle analyses
can be tricky.

Cheers to all!

Patricia Franklin
Executive Director