RE: [greenyes] Minneapolis processing contract

Eric,
Just weeding through the many emails we received about the Minneapolis
contract. I know you sent this very long ago but with a little time
available now, I am trying to respond to all of the questions that we
received. I hope that this information is still useful to you. I wanted to
address your question regarding pay rates and the impact on the contract
selection.

Your Question... you say that your proposal included "fair pay and
benefits" but that "Some decision makers felt these
qualities made Eureka Recycling more risky than our competitors..." Could
you share with us the details on this? Were your wages and benefits a lot
higher than BFI and Waste Management? If so, how much higher? For those of
us in the trenches, these sorts of details are critical to our future.

At Eureka Recycling we hire fulltime permanent employees that are eligible
for full benefits, holidays and paid time off. We understand industry
practices (at least in this area) are to hire workers through temp agencies,
this in effect hires that person at much lower wages since they are not
eligible for any benefits. We have and will continue to use temporary
employees when we have shifting labor requirements but we will never use
temporary labor as a way of evading paying our employees a fair wage and
providing them with beneifts.

The city of Minneapolis' contract required contractors to provide employees
payment of a living wage but (to the best of our knowledge) had no mechanism
to verify that the contractor actually provided this requirement. Living
Wage is $9.50 hour for a family of four. All of our employees are paid in
excess of this amount.

We are satisfied that the process we went through (although frankly quite
brutal) did provide some benefit. BFI, who had the contract before and was
awarded the new contract will be paying the city of Minneapolis a fair share
of the revenues generated (many times more than what they had been paying
previously) which we think will result in greater sustainability of
recycling.

Thank you for all your support,

Sincerely,

Susan Hubbard
CEO
Eureka Recycling
2828 Kennedy St., NE
Minneapolis, MN 55413

651.222.7678
612.623.3277 Fax

www.eurekarecycling.org

Waste Is Preventable Not Inevitable

I am so sorry about this outcome. Over the next 36 months, show them how
damn good Eureka is and then go get this contract! The community deserves
to have you steering the ship.

Question... you say below that your proposal included "fair pay and
benefits" but that "Some decision makers felt these
qualities made Eureka Recycling more risky than our competitors..." Could
you share with us the details on this? Were your wages and benefits a lot
higher than BFI and Waste Management? If so, how much higher? For those of
us in the trenches, these sorts of details are critical to our future.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Eric at Eco-Cycle