From: "Rod" <rodmuir@no.address>
To: <greenyes@no.address>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:20:35 -0400
Subject: [greenyes] City of Toronto, City Council

...Below you will find the link to the Taskforce 2010 report of the City of Toronto. (Toronto's population is 2.5 mm, the fourth largest City in N. American)

The plan outlines the steps required to achieve 100% diversion from landfill before 2010, 9 years, at time of publication (June '01).

The summary of recommendations - 47 in 16 categories, is found at the end of the main report and is I my estimation the most important component of the report.

See Waste Diversion Taskforce 2010 report
Download Full report: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/taskforce2010/2010_report.htm

The basic tenets are there

We need to get:
* Recycling - Up - via more effective education, communication, advertising, promotion, Whatever you wish to call it.
* Organics - In - via three stream collection
* The Last Six - Out - via depots (as common as a Wal-mart) and selected return to retail progams
* Electronics
* Furniture (including mattresses)
* Textiles (including carpets)
* Household items - pots, pans, dishes etc etc etc
* C&D - a surprising amount come out of the typical home via DIY'er
* HHW - mostly paint, oil, batt's, meds and F. lights
Other supporting documents of interest, which can be accessed from this link are;
* Appendix B - Summary of public consultation input
* Appendix E - Taking care of our own waste - Presentation by City Staff prior to each public consultation meeting
* Appendix J - Summary notes from meetings with Industry Representatives
* A day of deputations which we also attended
My organization was closely involved in the development of the 2010 report. We continue to monitor it's (somewhat slow) progress.

I am more than happy to share it with you. as I believe our residential municipal solid waste challenge is a completely common one and therefore should benefit from the best common solutions
(Not that I'm saying 2010 has all the answers)

Please feel free to contact me for any additional information

Rod Muir
Founder
Waste Diversion Toronto and
Waste Diversion Campaigner, Sierra Club of Canada

**************************
from: http://www.sfgov.org/sfenvironment/aboutus/policy/resolution/002-03.htm

Resolution No. 002-03-COE - March 6, 2003

Zero Waste Date
RESOLUTION ADOPTING A DATE OF 2020 FOR SAN FRANCISCO TO ACHIEVE THE GOAL OF ZERO WASTE TO LANDFILL AND DIRECTING THE DEPARTMENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT TO DEVELOP POLICIES AND PROGRAMS TO INCREASE PRODUCER AND CONSUMER RESPONSIBILITY IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE THE ZERO WASTE GOAL.

WHEREAS, The San Francisco Commission on the Environment and the Board of Supervisors have passed resolutions adopting a goal of zero waste for San Francisco and the Board of Supervisors resolution authorized the Commission on the Environment to set a date to achieve zero waste once San Francisco met the 50% diversion goal; and

WHEREAS, The San Francisco Department of the Environment has determined that San Francisco has met the state mandated 50% diversion, by achieving a 52% diversion rate for the year 2001 and fully expects the California Integrated Waste Management Board to approve the 52% diversion rate; and

WHEREAS, Achieving a goal of zero waste by 2020 is ambitious and will require product manufacturers and consumers to take responsibility to ensure that all discarded materials are diverted from landfill; and therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the Commission on the Environment adopts a date for achieving zero waste to landfill by 2020 and directs the Department of the Environment to develop policies and programs to achieve zero waste, including increasing producer and consumer responsibility, in order that all discarded materials be diverted from landfill through recycling, composting or other means.

I hereby certify that this resolution was adopted by the Commission on the Environment at its special meeting on March 6, 2003.

Emily D. Rogers
Commission Secretary

VOTE: Pass
Ayes: Commissioners Bingham, Evans, Hayes, Rodriguez, and Shah
Noes: None
Absent: Commissioners Werbe
**************************
From: http://www.sfgov.org/sfenvironment/articles_pr/2002/pr/092602.htm
San Francisco News Release, September 26, 2002
Press contact: Mark Westlund, 415-355-3714

Supervisors to vote on 75 percent recycling goal for San Francisco

City's ultimate target is zero waste
[]

San Francisco - Next Monday, the Board of Supervisors will likely put San Francisco on the road to recycling history. Supervisor Tom Ammiano is sponsoring a resolution, previously adopted by San Francisco's Commission on the Environment, that sets an aggressive 75 percent recycling target, with an ultimate goal of zero waste. The resolution passed the Health and Human Services Committee with a unanimous vote September 19, and the full Board will vote on the item on Monday, September 30.

San Francisco generates an amount of waste material each year that is equal to the weight of two Golden Gate Bridges - 1.6 million tons. "Even if we're recycling 50 percent," said SF Environment director Jared Blumenfeld, "we're still stuffing a Golden Gate Bridge-worth of garbage into our landfill - and that's just too much."

The resolution calls for San Francisco to divert 75 percent of its waste stream material from landfill by 2010, and charges the Environment Commission with setting a deadline for zero waste once the City hits 50 percent recycling. Once this happens, San Francisco will be the first city in the United States to establish a zero waste target date. Zero waste means that the City will send no waste to the landfill. In order to achieve this, the City and its recycling companies will need to find additional markets for recyclable products.

San Francisco already has one of the most successful recycling programs in the nation, and has the largest comprehensive organics collection program of any city in the nation. The latest figures from SF Environment show that San Francisco is recycling 46 percent of its waste, and will likely surpass the state-mandated goal of 50 percent by the end of this year.

The California Integrated Waste Management Board has adopted a goal of zero waste in its strategic plan, and has pledged to work with municipalities as well as manufacturers and state legislators to bring it about. "With our new, creative recycling programs like Fantastic 3, and our best-in-the-nation collection of food and organic materials, San Francisco is in position to lead the way," said Blumenfeld.