From: David Wood [mailto:david@no.address]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 10:26 AM
To: greenyes@no.address
Subject: [greenyes] Michael Dell responds to students; Dell, GRRN
prepare 4/26 student teleconference

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 6, 2004
Contact: David Wood, 608-347-7043
Clare Cragan, 847-951-4293

Michael Dell issues public reply to students' 'take it back, make it
clean, recycle responsibly' demand
Dell and GRRN prepare April 26 national campus e-waste webcast
teleconference

Madison, WI - Michael Dell, founder, Chairman and out-going CEO of Dell,
Inc. today responded to a full-page ad sponsored by GrassRoots Recycling
Network (GRRN, www.grrn.org <http://www.grrn.org/> ) on behalf of over
150 college campus groups from all 50 states, stating his company's
position on the students' demand to address the growing problem of
e-waste - discarded computers and consumer electronics. The
GRRN-organized student ad, published in the December 18, 2003 Austin
Chronicle called on Dell to lead his industry by taking back all old
equipment, phasing out the use of hazardous materials, and supporting
environmentally superior equipment recycling systems.

The letter stated progress made by the company in each of the areas of
student concern, providing specific examples of policies implemented and
programs underway. Dell's emerging relationship with the environmental
community has offered his company the "opportunity to make a positive
environmental impact in our global communities." The letter can be
viewed at
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/corporate/environ/Dell%20Open%20Let
ter.pdf.

"We are encouraged by Michael Dell's statements, which indicate that his
company is taking action beyond what is visible to the general public,"
said Clare Cragan, UW-Madison senior and lead GRRN intern on the
Computer TakeBack Campaign. "We are impressed that the CEO of a Fortune
500 company recognizes the importance of responding directly to public
concerns. On behalf of the thousands of students from all 50 states we
have organized, I say 'thank you' for opening a dialog."

Moreover, and perhaps more significantly, Dell and GRRN have put in
motion plans for a national web-based video- and tele-conference for
Michael Dell to engage directly and personally with students from across
the country on their concerns and his company's plans. Scheduled for
April 26, 2004, this unprecedented event indicates the company's
willingness to be held publicly accountable and make progress toward
solutions rather than battle over the problem. Details on the event are
under development.

"This is a watershed moment in the effort to promote corporate
accountability for waste and a clear indication that organized pressure
in the market can positively influence corporations and their
management," says David Wood, Executive Director of GRRN and organizing
director of the Computer TakeBack Campaign. "Michael Dell deserves
recognition for his leadership in steering his company and it resources
toward meaningful change."

"Students involved with the Computer TakeBack Campaign have made
tremendous progress educating their communities about e-waste and the
producer responsibility solution," added Kara Reeve of Clean Water Fund
in New England.

Dell's open letter acknowledged the recent meeting he held with
co-coordinators of the Computer TakeBack Campaign, GRRN Executive
Director David Wood, Ted Smith of Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition, and
Robin Schneider of Texas Campaign for the Environment.

Since early 2002, Dell has been the target of organizing by the national
Computer TakeBack Campaign (www.computertakeback.com
<http://www.computertakeback.com/> ). Dell was selected not only for its
significant market share but also because the company's
direct-to-consumer sales model uniquely positioned it, campaigner
leaders believed, to embrace producer responsibility and transform that
into a business strategy.

"Michael Dell's recent statements about e-waste and his company's plans
indicate that our assessment was right, that for Dell the solution to
this growing environmental problem presents opportunities to grow market
share, diversify the bundle of services offered to consumers, and
enhance customer loyalty," continues GRRN's Wood. "Market leaders Dell
and HP will likely enhance their relative positions by acting
strategically on the e-waste problem and creating competitive
environmental pressures in the marketplace."

The list of campus groups participating in the December open letter to
Dell can be found on the student campaign website, www.toxicdude.com
<http://www.toxicdude.com/> .

David Wood
Executive Director, GrassRoots Recycling Network
Organizing Director, Computer TakeBack Campaign
210 N. Bassett St., Suite 200
Madison WI 53703
608-255-4800, ext. 100
608-347-7043 (cell)