Re: [greenyes] Waste-to-Energy

Hi all,

I visited the Halifax (CANADA) regional facility last week where waste is subject to three cuts:

* kitchen and yard waste is collected in a green bin
* recyclable containers and paper are collected, commingled in blue bags
* 'waste' is collected and delivered to a municipal facility for "pre-treatment"

The 'waste' is debagged and run over a conveyor to pull out recyclable and hazardous materials. The remaining material is shredded up and "composted" for a period of time before being disposed in the landfill. (It contains 80% plastic and other trash residue and 20% organics.)

The representative who led the tour was asked if the landfill produced landfill gas. He replied that it did, but that the lag-period between introduction of 'pretreated material' and the production of gas was shorter than for non-pretreated waste. He is expecting, once enough time has elapsed to determine this, that the pretreated material will cease producing gas at an earlier time than untreated material normally does.

Helen.