[greenyes] Toronto diverts 32%; Zero landfilling goal by 2010

David,

Here's a post from last year that provides some info on Toronto's plans for Zero Waste.

Gary
From: "Rod" <rodmuir@no.address>
To: <greenyes@no.address>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:24:10 -0400

Todd;

You were inquiring about MSW plans

Below you will find the link to the
Taskforce 2010 report of the City of Toronto.
(Toronto's population is 2.5 mm, the fourth largest City in N. American)

The plan outlines the steps required to achieve 100% diversion from landfill
before 2010, 9 years, at time of publication (June '01)

The summary of recommendations - 47 in 16 categories, is found at the end of the
main report and is I my estimation the most important component of the report.

See Waste Diversion Taskforce 2010 report
Download Full report

The basic tenets are there

We need to get;

Recycling - Up - via more effective education, communication, advertising, promotion
Whatever you wish to call it.

Organics - In - via three stream collection

The Last Six - Out - via depots (as common as a Wal-mart) and selected return to retail progams
Electronics
Furniture (including mattresses)
Textiles (including carpets)
Household items - pots, pans, dishes etc etc etc
C&D - a surprising amonut come out of the typical home via DIY'er
HHW - mostly paint, oil, batt's, meds and F. lights

Other supporting documents of interest, which can be accessed from this link are;
Appendix B - Summary of public consultation input
Appendix E - Taking care of our own waste - Presentation by City Staff prior to each public consultation meeting
Appendix J - Summary notes from meetings with Industry Representatives
A day of deputations which we also attended

My organization was closely involved in the development of the 2010 report.
We continue to monitor it's (somewhat slow) progress.

I am more than happy to share it with you.
as I believe our residential municipal solid waste challenge
is a completely common one and therefore should benefit from the best common solutions
(Not that I'm saying 2010 has all the answers)

Please feel free to contact me for any additional information

Good luck with your up-coming conference

Rod Muir
Founder
Waste Diversion Toronto and
Waste Diversion Campaigner, Sierra Club of Canada

<http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/taskforce2010/2010_report.htm>http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/taskforce2010/2010_report.htm