Re: [greenyes] NO TO SUBSIDIES FOR WASTE
Susan Hubbard, Peter Anderson and Doug Koplow have raised subsidy issues over
the past few days concerning landfill gas, bioreactors and ways in which the
Energy Conference Report on HR 6 adversely affects recycling.  While each
raised somewhat different points, there is a new opportunity for the recycling
community to address recycling and subsidy issues with members of the U.S. Senate
in the next
4-5 weeks.

The filibuster last week delayed potential action on HR 6 until January 2004.
 If the recycling community can develop a simple message (2 or 3 bullet
points), then it is worth circulating a one-page sign-on letter and a one-page fact
sheet to all U.S. Senators.

GRRN had Peter doing some work on landfills and bioreactors.  Would GRRN want
to take the lead?  I haven't seen the staff or board weigh in on the GreenYes
e-mail exchange.

Frankly, the problem in the Senate Finance Commmittee and House Ways & Means
Committee was that GRRN didn't have a champion on the issue.

But with the filibuster on the Senate floor, the more people unearth about
the bill the greater the possibility of halting or changing the bill.

MTBE affects 1,500 communities, with 153,000 locations.  The League of Cities
says the liability cap in HR 6 amounts to an "unfunded mandate" that will
cost local government $32 billion.  The Conference of Mayors makes the same kind
of argument, but puts the cost at $29 billion.  If this issue gets taken out,
HR 6 would probably pass easily.  But President Bush couldn't get House
Majority Leader Tom DeLay to back down.

Those individuals, organizations and public officials concerned about
treating landfill gas as a "renewable" energy source, about bioreactors and about
subsidies that undermine recycling have a reasonable amount of time to mount a
grassroots campaign with at least one national news release, letter writing to
all 100 senators, telephone calls and visits. But somebody needs to take the
lead and commit resources.

Lance King
Community Solutions
Tel 703/536-7282