[greenyes] Energy Bill Filibuster - Is Recycling Nuclear Waste Good Public Policy?
GreenYes ListServe,

The Senate filibuster of the energy bill is allowing a growing number of
people to read HR 6, including more senators, media and the public.  Is recycling
nuclear waste good public policy?

While many kinds of recycling are common sense solutions to waste problems,
in some instances recycling creates new problems.  That is one reason why the
electronics take back campaign has focused on getting toxics out of computers
and monitors as part of it message, at least as I understand the campaign.

An analysis of the Energy Conference Report on HR 6 by faith-based
organizations opposed to the bill contains more than 50 issues relating to:
- public health and the environment,
- coastal and sensitive lands,
- consumer and taxpayer concerns,
- energy and national security.

It includes a point that caught me by surprise.  The energy bill would
reverse a decades-old U.S. policy opposing recycling of nuclear spent fuel from
powerplants through reprocessing.

Buried deep in the 1,000+ page bill, Title IX, Sec. 926, authorizes new
research and directs the Department of Energy to explore proliferation-resistent
forms of reprocessing.  Lip-service is paid to nuclear non-proliferation.  But
when you combine subsidies to the nuclear industry, plans for a uranium
enrichment plant in New Mexico, Title IX and other provisions, the net affect of the
energy bill is an effort to revive the nuclear industry in a way that would
also increase risky forms of nuclear commerce.

Spent fuels rods have been piling up for decades at commerical reactors
across the United States.  With nuclear reprocessing, waste problems expand
dramatically and so do terrorism risks and proliferation risks in the United States
and other countries.

As a nuclear physicist at the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency said in
1978, you go from the "spent fuel" waste stream to creating a "river of waste"
with reprocessing.  At that time Dr. Anthony Nero and I were working together on
the 66-nation International Nuclear Fuel Cycle Evaluation (INFCE), proposed
by President Carter as a means to explore limiting nuclear weapons
proliferation risks as nations sought to generate electricity from nuclear power.

I was a member of the U.S. Delegation to INFCE, while working in the Office
of Nuclear Technology and Safeguards at the U.S. Department of State.  INFCE
was hosted by the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna.

Many of the issues dominating U.S. foreign policy today toward Iraq, Iran,
and North Korea have been challenges recognized by the international community
going back to the 1960's.  Starting with the Test Ban Treaty and the Nuclear
Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), the United States and many other nations
demonstrated leadership in creating an international framework to reduce some of the
obvious dangers and risks of trade nuclear technology.

Under Presidents Ford and Carter, the United States took a leadership role in
the 1970's by seeking to restrain international commerce in sensitive
enrichment and reprocessing technologies.

President Carter brought an end to reprocessing in the United States.  So why
reverse that policy now?  What has changed in terms of technology?

As the U.S. seeks to bring an end to reprocessing of spent fuel rods in North
Korea, is this the time to restart our own reprocessing program?  Will this
enhance U.S. national security?

Reprocessing of spent fuel from commerical nuclear power reactors isn't an
issue that has been widely debated by the public as the Bush Administration and
Congress have worked on the energy bill for nearly three years.

The filibuster is allowing time to read HR 6 more closely. I encourage
participants in the GreenYes ListServe to do a little reading.  Make your views know
to members of the Senate and House over the holidays.

Lance King
Community Solutions
Tel: 703/536-7282